Welcome to my adventure in becoming a teacher!

The Wonderful World of Copyright

Who knew there was so much to copyright? I always assumed that if you borrow from somewhere then you need to reference them, I never even thought about open education. I have thought about borrowing lesson plans, using activity worksheets, etc. Although, I have never thought about where to obtain these resources from.

The best bet as a teacher to obtain resources is by using open licensing resources. With plenty of these resources, you can access, copy, and adapt content for your teaching needs. There are so many questions teachers have when it comes to Copyright laws and what can be obtained to use in the classroom. A very good guide to use in the Copyright Matters question and answer article created by the Canadian Teacher’s Federation. Here is the link:

http://cmec.ca/Publications/Lists/Publications/Attachments/291/Copyright_Matters.pdf

Open Education resources allow teachers to use for free in their classrooms.

Creative Commons resources allow the public to use these resources within certain limitations. This might include using including attribution, allowing edits, etc.

This Youtube video presents why using open education is useful, and although it is aimed towards higher education it is equally important for grade school because teachers should be able to find resources without paying out of pocket.

Previous

My First Blog Post!

Next

Eating is Good for the Soul!

1. mpaskevi

Great post, Zoe!